Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Texas Infusion

Texas Infusion

     In October, my sister and brother-in-law moved from PA to Texas. They love it and have been begging me to come down and visit. I do database work and I can literally work from anywhere so I asked my manager if there was any way I could work from Texas for a week. Much to my surprise, he said yes! I made my reservations and flew down last weekend.
Look at this! It's January18th!
     They picked me up at the Houston airport and took me to their home. Wow! It's beautiful. They have been telling me how nice their neighborhood is with all the walking trails and sure enough, it's true. 
Houston, Texas sunset and the Houston Astros Stadium

      One of the first stops was the supermarket and my sister said "Come Here!" One look and I knew I was in Texas!

     Trucks...BIG Trucks; They are all around you on the roads. I'm talking jacked up trucks with lift kits, cow catchers and Texas Longhorns on the hood. Here's an example.

     Palm Trees are everywhere! That includes the Lowes parking lot...

Palm Trees in the Lowes parking lot
     In order to become a Texan (even a temporary Texan), one must assimilate into the culture. That means stopping at the nearest Cavenders western wear shop and checking out all the western apparel. I found a nice belt and custom buckle to remember Texas by...


My Texas Custom Belt; Cool, eh?

Visit https://www.cavenders.com/ to see their western wear


Boots you can buy at Cavenders



     Food; It's what makes the world go round and let me tell you, there is a lot of Texas food to eat in the area. I love to eat so we have been eating Texas Tex Mex, Texas Bar-B-Q, fresh Texas citrus fruit, customer homemade lunches and Chicken Fried Steak at none other than Kelley's, the Best in Country Cookin'. Why I even tried and ate all of my Blackeye Peas. One thing I do is eat everything on the plate. Unfortunately, my belly is growing down here so I will be on an immediate diet as soon as I get home. Here are some before and after food pictures...


Kelley's Blackeye Peas
Fresh Oranges, Lemon and Grapefruit

Juiciest and Sweetest Orange Ever
Homemade Super Sandwich and Water with fresh lemon


Mexican Fiesta Meal at Rancho Mexican Restaurant

Mexican Fiesta Meal at Rancho Mexican Restaurant

Mexican Fiesta Meal at Rancho Mexican Restaurant

All Gone!

Enchiladas at Rancho Mexican Restaurant
Joe's Bar-B-Q


All Gone!
Chuy's

One of Chuy's dining rooms


Silverware was in this bag; a nice touch

My Enchilada Dinner at Chuy's
All Gone!

     How is work going you might ask? Very Well! I am getting so much done during my workday here, it is unreal. I'm really enjoying the weather too. So far, every day it has been right around 70 and sunny. Worse weather is coming for the rest of the week but I really lucked out the first several days. 
     I think I need to buy a lot and then build a tiny cabin to live in for 6 months a year if and when I retire. Oh well, until my next post, Viva La Texas!









No comments:

Post a Comment